Early thirties dating
In the year 1802 the Gist bridge (a floating structure) was built over the South Creek. Trustees: Mathew Lock, Edward Robinson, Henry Baldwin. Ship and boat building was parried on at tins time along the banks of the Hawkesbury, to which reference is made in Chapter II. In 1880 two of these were replaced by Benjamin Richards and David Cobcroft. Dean Hallinan left Windsor, after a ministry of twenty-two years in the Roman Catholic Church. Another industry he started was the manufacture of salt. The leading Wesleyan laymen in these early days were:—Messrs. The same year efforts were made to grow rice, but with little success. During the years 1804-5 Governor King proclaimed the following Commons in the district:— Ham Common. Later Trustees for Ham Common were: Abraham Cornwell, Robert Fitzgerald, George Bowman. A school was also established at an early period, situated near South Creek, just behind the Court House. The residents took an interest in the affairs of the colony in those early days. He was presented with a large puree of sovereigns, subscribed by all denominations. This he carried on at Scotland Island, near Newport, at the mouth of the Hawkesbury. In pursuance of this plan, and with a view to the prosperity of the country, he has already fixed upon the most eligible situations within the several districts bordering on these rivers, and marked out on the several Commons where the townships are to be established, and each settler will be assigned an allotment of ground for a dwelling house, offices, garden, corn-yard, and stock yard, proportioned to the extent of the farm he holds within the influence of the floods; but it is to be clearly understood that the allotments so given, being intended as places of security for the produce of the lands on the banks of the Hawkesbury and Nepean, cannot be sold or alienated in any manner whatever, but with the farms to which they are from the commencement to be annexed, and they are to be always considered as forming an inseparable part of the said farms. Thomas Bayliss was tried for house-breaking at Mulgrave, and was executed on 31st October, 1829. Governor Macquarie reports that on 30th April, 1810, Andrew Thompson was received at the Governor's table, in Sydney, along with Simeon Lord, an opulent Sydney merchant, and Dr. "The Governor has accordingly marked out five separate townships, namely, one for the district of Green Hills, which he has called Windsor; one for Richmond Hill District, to be called Richmond; one for the Nelson District, to be called Pitt Town; one for Phillip District, to be called Wilberforce; and one for the Nepean or Evan District, to be called Castlereagh. The seasons at the period we write of were drier than formerly, the only floods of any consequence being in 16, until the late fifties, when floods again became frequent. Six acres of land enclosed, partly with a brick wall. About this time another prisoner was sentenced to seventy-five lashes for stealing a few oranges at Belmont. West watched the pulse while the flogging was publicly administered. Redfern, the assistant surgeon, and the officers of the 73rd Regiment.
They know it never happened." "If you abuse a 14-year-old, you shouldn't be a Senate candidate. "But I did not do that." He called the report a "political attack" against him and added that he's "sure in the next four weeks" The Post is "going to come out with another article." Saying that "establishment Republicans" and "Democrats" were behind the allegations, Moore said he and his campaign "have some evidence of some collusion here." "But we’re not ready to put that to the public yet," he said.
The old Government House was also built about this time as a residence for Lieutenant Edward Abbott, commander of the troops for the N. About the year 1800 there appeared on the Hawkesbury a settler named Andrew Thompson, who played a leading part in the development of the district up to the time of his death in 1810. His brewery was situated on the bank of the South Creek. Hughes (who was the schoolmaster at Richmond, and formerly at Windsor), R.
His history and numerous occupations are fully dealt with in another place. The time occupied on the journey was sixteen hours, and William Roberts was the enterprising coachman. In connection with the brewery he also kept a public-house. In the year 1826 the members of the Windsor chapel raised the large sum of three hundred and fifty-six pounds, nineteen shillings for missionary work.
We find, therefore, that several large granaries were built at the Green Hills, at first constructed of logs, and afterwards brick buildings of two and three stories. Captain Putland died in 1808, and was buried first in old St. The first Wesleyan class-meeting was held in 1812, when six members were enrolled, and the number soon increased to nineteen. Carvosso arrived in New South Wales in 1820, and was settled at Windsor the same year. The Wesleyan Church took a keen interest in missionary affairs, especially from 1820 to 1830, and some large missionary meetings were held.
Here the grain was stored under Government supervision. Philip's, Sydney, the body being removed in 1856 to Sandhills (Devonshire Street Cemetery), and in 1901 again removed to La Perouse, Botany. Ship Porpoise, Chief Magistrate throughout the Territory, and Aid de Camp to His Excellency Governor Bligh. Aged 27 years." Governor Bligh appointed Andrew Thompson as his bailiff or agent, and left the entire management of his farm in his hands. A small Wesleyan school was also taught by Edward Eagar (an emancipist lawyer), who also conducted divine service, and the same year, 1812, efforts were started to raise funds to build a chapel. Leigh arrived in the colony in the Hebe on 15th August, 1815. Samuel Marsden, Church of England Senior Chaplain, and they travelled to and from New Zealand together. Marsden had a large farm, portion of which extended right into the town of Windsor, and, knowing the desire for the erection of a chapel in Windsor, he presented Mr. Carvosso in 1820, and a house was bought for him, at a cost of two hundred and seventy pounds, known as the Mission House. He was in Sydney and Parramatta about the years 1822-5, and went to Hobart Town in May, 1825. A son, William, who was born in the Mission House, Windsor, died in England, in 1842.